Mold is more than a mere cosmetic issue. It can damage property and contribute to severe health-related problems for people. As a member of the fungi family, the organism can grow indoors and outside.
The outdoor element is significant for breaking down animal and plant matter in the ecosystem. The substance that grows indoors can cause people problems with infections and allergies.
Exposure is not to be considered an emergency for most individuals. Still, it is something to let a physician be aware of in case there’s a reason for a greater risk of complications or perhaps there are symptoms related to a mold infection. For someone who inhales or touches the fungi, there can be allergy-type symptoms like:
- congestion/runny nose
- Lung irritation
- Eye irritation
- Sore throat
A homeowner might notice splotches of what appears to be dirt or a stain but could perhaps be spores of mold. There are ways you can be sure. Let’s look at different types and see how you can tell whether you have mold in the house.
Different Types Of Mold Damage In The Home
Different types of mold damage can affect a household. Homeowners won’t always be able to differentiate between the variations without having specific testing. Still, it’s genuinely not necessary to know what type it is in order to have it taken out.
The only requirement is to use a well-qualified, experienced Los Angeles mold removal company to have it done the first time correctly. Some of the most common molds that you’ll see inside include:
- Aspergillus: This variety is a gray, green, and white fungi with a dark-spotted, powdery appearance. It doesn’t require a lot of ventilation; instead, thriving in attic spaces, walls, basements, and in fabrics, along with living on dry food items.
- Penicillium: The fuzzy variation appears as a greenish, blue, and yellow mold. You can find this also in basements, within insulation, or under carpeting, particularly if there has been exposed to water.
- Cladosporium: Mold with a black, brown, and greenish look. It’s not picky where it grows, thriving in either cool or warm areas. It lives in fabrics, under carpeting, on areas of wood, or in the heating and cooling ducts.
A few others that aren’t seen as often inside but have the potential for growing indoors:
- Trichoderma: A creamy white mold that will turn green as spores are released. It can be found within windows, on wood, or in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Stachybotrys Chartarum: This also references as black mold. It is a green/black fungus that will grow on items that contain a high content of cellulose. These can include drywall, fiberboards, or paper.
- Aureobasidium: The mold can be found in grout and caulking or on walls and in wood showing a pinkish appearance and black spots.
- Alternative: Another fuzzy variety showing as white with black spots grows on wallpaper or within fabric, along windows, in air conditioning, in kitchens, and in bathrooms.
Mold Damages In The Household
The fungi will generally begin as a small spot but multiply rapidly. Most homeowners will find it in the early stages unless the mold is growing in an area that’s hidden away. The suggestion is that it is everywhere, and people generally breathe in spores regularly.
Allergies can occur with an overreaction to specific kinds of mold, with an individual’s immune system labeled as an “allergen,” creating symptoms like congestion, sneezing, and coughing. Not all molds produce these sorts of symptoms in people; those that do include:
Most people can rid their homes of mold when they find it early enough. Learn methods for removing mold at https://www.familyhandyman.com/project/how-to-remove-mold/. You can do so using:
- Bleach (1 cup per gallon of water)
- Commercial products
Before you attempt to remove mold from the household, the recommendation is to open the windows in the home and ensure that you wear protective gear, primarily eye protection (N95 respirator), a face mask, and (nonporous) gloves.
You should avoid combining chemicals, especially bleach, with ammonia due to the likelihood of toxic fumes. The directives include scrubbing the surfaces where the mold is located with a brush to remove the mold, ensuring that you remove all the spores.
On porous materials like ceiling tiles, carpet, fabrics, or furnishings, the items should likely be tossed out. Painting and caulking should be avoided until the surfaces are mold-free. Go here for mold removal safety guidelines. You should avoid DIY removal; instead, reach out for professional services if:
- There’s a high risk for symptomatology from the spores
- There are severe water damages
- The mold is in a tough to reach location, or there is a lot of it
Preventive Measures From Mold Damages
Mold is a significant component of our world; the fungi are impossible to eliminate entirely. It is possible to make your home unwelcoming to the element. Some steps you can take to “uninvite” the fungi include:
- Incorporate “mold inhibitors” with paints ensuring that surfaces are dry before applying paint.
- Water leaks should be identified and repaired straight away.
- Keep water draining away from the property.
- Windows that continue to sweat/leak need to be repaired/replaced since there will be collections of moisture repeatedly on the sill or frame, leading to mold.
- Ensure wet laundry is not left to stand in a washer or hamper
- Use dehumidifiers or air conditioning to keep humidity at 50% or less in the household
- Cleaning products should be specific to killing spores. Use these to wipe down any tiling and ensure that the shower curtain is able to air dry thoroughly.
- Furnace/air conditioning filters should be changed regularly as the manufacturer recommends. Ensure adequate ventilation in the house and open windows, or use exhaust fans when bathing or showering to decrease moisture collection.
- There should be no carpet in high moisture spaces like the basement, bathroom, or laundry area.
Mold won’t always create a health problem, but it is always something that should be taken out of the household. It can be a health irritation for the
But it can lead to more severe complications if you have a respiratory condition or a mold allergy. The fungi can lead to damage to the home also. With a few household tasks mentioned earlier, it can be more difficult for the spores to attach indoors.
With early detection, you can take the necessary steps to remove the mold in a DIY capacity or contact a professional contractor to remove the fungi and handle potential repairs safely.