Duolingo Accepting Universities in USA
If you are an Indian student aspiring to study in USA, one of the essential eligibility criteria is having decent English Language Proficiency (ELP) test scores. The primary reason for this requirement at US universities is the dominance of English as a medium of instruction for all programs.
There are several standardized like TOEFL and IELTS that students opt for. Out of them, Duolingo English Test or DET has gained much popularity in recent times. It is not only accepted at universities in the USA but has global recognition. Apart from that, the flexibility of appearing for DET online from around the world is a huge advantage.
This article will examine the DET in more detail and give you a comprehensive list of US colleges and universities that recognize it as proof of English language competency.
List of Top 20 Universities and Colleges that Accept the Duolingo English Test in the US
Following is the list of universities and colleges in USA that accept DET as proof of a student’s level of English proficiency:
|University||QS WUR 2023||Average Score|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||1||120-125|
|California Institute of Technology||6||120+|
|University of Chicago||10||90-105|
|University of Pennsylvania||13||120+|
|Johns Hopkins University||24||120+|
|University of Michigan-Ann Arbour||25||105+|
|University of California at Berkeley||27||115+|
|New York University||39||125+|
|University of California, Los Angeles||44||120+|
|Carnegie Mellon University||52||120+|
|University of Washington||80||120+|
|University of Wisconsin- Madison||83||105+|
|University of Illinois in Urbana Champaign||85||125+|
What is the Duolingo English Test?
Just like IELTS and TOEFL, students wishing to demonstrate their English language skills for studying abroad can also take the Duolingo English Test, which is conducted online. Some of its key specifications are:
- No matter where you are, you may take the Duolingo English test online anytime.
- Duolingo is an adaptive exam; the more questions you respond to, the more it will understand your level and present questions appropriate for your English proficiency.
- There are two sections to the Duolingo English Test.
- The 45-minute written and the adaptive test is timed.
- In the video interview that follows the written test, you must record your responses to a few open-ended questions.
- The video interview is of 10 minutes.
- It consists of 3 parts: reading, writing, and listening comprehension.
- The Duolingo English test has a score range of 10-160, with 10 representing the lowest and 160 representing the highest.
- The test consists of 40–45 questions in total.
- Two days after the exam, students receive their results.
- The test fee is 49 USD.
- Students can send their exam scores directly to the colleges.
Now that we know the general layout of the Duolingo English Test, let’s take a look at the average score required by aspirants to get admission into universities in USA:
What is the Average DET Score Required for US Universities?
If we compare the Duolingo English Test with its other counterparts like the IELTS and TOEFL, scoring in the former is considered easy. The average DET score for the top universities in USA is 120–125 or higher. It is not an unachievable score if you are consistent in your preparation.
Alternatives to DET
As already mentioned, several other standardized tests other than DET universities in USA are considered for their admission criteria. The average scores as per the tests are:
- TOEFL- 70-100
- IELTS- 6.5-7.5
- PTE- 65-80
Other than this Cambridge English Test is also accepted as proof of English proficiency of a student in different countries.
Studying abroad is a long journey that requires prior preparation and planning. Standardized tests are only a part of it. So, it is advisable to gather all information about the prerequisites of the course and university you wish to apply in order to avoid any confusion later. Get in touch with one of the best overseas educational consultants for a smooth admission and study abroad journey.